Saturday, January 19, 2013

Born in sin, Saved by Christ

I'm been trying to think of a song I should review for some time now. I think I've finally decided which one I should review. When it comes to music, I like challenges. Not all the time, but most of the time. So, I want to see if I can tackle one of the most popular, annoying, twisted songs in America. Yeah, like challenges.

I was born that way.

As I write this, I ask myself, Why am I doing this? Seriously, I dislike Gaga extremely. That's one of the reasons why I LOVE 'Control' by Royal Tailor!

Okay, I'm getting off subject.

I was also born that way. (My dad calls it 'scattered brain'.)

Lady Gaga is the weirdest and worst artist that I can think of in the music industry, but she's also one of the most popular as well. She's extremely weird. For instance, she wore a dress made out of meat. She's still extremely popular. She still has over 10 million followers on Twitter.
 How sad. This world 'likes' weird for some reason. Why? Because when sin entered the world, it twisted everything up.  So the most unappealing things are suddenly appealing. Weird, isn't it?

'Born This Way' started a record as the most purchased song by a female artist. (That record was later smoked by Taylor Swift's 'We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together') Though the song like it has a wholesome message, it is very twisted.

Gaga begins this song by talking, "It doesn't matter if you love him, or capital H-I-M," she says. "But keep your paws up. 'Cause baby you were born this way."

 I don't know what that means.

She begins singing about a childhood memory of her mother. "We were born superstars," her mother said to her. "She rolled her hair and put my lipstick on," Gaga remembers. "There's nothing wrong with who you are/She said, 'Cause he made you perfect babe/So hold your head up, girl and you'll go far/Listen to me when I say."

That's where the twisting part comes.

"I'm beautiful in my way/'Cuz God makes no mistakes/I'm on the right track, baby/I was born this way/Don't hide yourself in regret/Love yourself and you're set/I'm on the right track, baby/I was born this way."

Yeah, sure. One of the many problems with this song is the title itself. Sure, we were born this way. We were born in sin. Is that something we're suppose to be happy about? However, some of it is true. God created us specially and He doesn't make any mistakes. Because He saved us, we don't have to hide ourselves in regret and we can love ourselves. But, since this song lack this message, is crumbles within itself.

Then comes the annoying bridge. "Don't be a drag/Just be a queen." This line fits with Gaga's views. Her number priority is having a glamorous life. Biblical views don't match up with this view. Why? Because God will accept anyone! You don't have to be a queen to be in His kingdom!

Since Gaga is extremely gay, it's no surprise that she outs that in the mix. "No matter gay, straight, or bi/Lesbian, transgendered life/I'm on the right track, baby/I was born to survive." It also speaks out to bullied kids. "When life's disabilities/Leave you bullied, outcast, or teased/Rejoice and love yourself today."

Because, baby you were born this way.

This message is extremely twisted. Though God makes no mistakes, He is not here to love us for who we are. He's here to redeem us. He's here to save us. He's here to changed us, to give us a desire for Him that no one can take anyway. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love us for who we are. He does. When we have Jesus, he longer sees a big blob of sin, junk, and messes. He sees the perfect score that Jesus gave us. We were born this way! We were born in the sin! But guess what? Gaga's right! We don't have to hide in regret!

Why?

Because Jesus saved us. Though we were born in sin, we don't have to live in it.

Isn't so discouraging how backwards everything is these day? Gay marriage seems to be accepted by everyone... even our President, who's a professing Christian.
But, you know what? Though it seems that all depressing, and backward things are taking over the world, God is still standing! He is still looking down at us and loving us. He is still faithful, even when we're not faithful to Him.

I wrote my own chorus to this song. Even though the message is pretty twisted, we can come to the conclusion that God can make truth out of anything.

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cuz God redeemed me.
I wasn't on the right track.
But Jesus saved me!
Oh, sure I have some regrets.
But now I have Jesus and I'm set.
I wasn't on the right track.
But Jesus saved me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah