Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Trouble that comes with a Oath

Before I start this review, I want to thank each and every one of my dear friends who commented and supported me as I started reviewing songs! I am a music freak, and I spend a lot of time on Plugged In. I love to write reviews and I love speaking my mind about music! Thank you guys for reading my reviews! You encourage me so much!

For those of you who don't know Cher Lloyd, she is a British singer/rapper who got her big break on the 2010 version of the  X Factor. (in UK) She finished 4th place, but ended up signing with Synco Records. She was unknown to the USA until she signed with LA Reid's record label. (A judge on the USA X Factor.) Her single 'Want U Back'  began a huge hit in America. Her debut album, Sticks and Stones, was released for purchase in the USA recently. Though her music is catchy, her lyrics are not. She isn't very modest either. Though 'Want U Back' is sparks with jealousy and heartlessness, the latest single from the album 'Oath' is a step up from it. It's not exactly perfect though.

In 'Oath, Cher promises a good friend that she will always stick by him.

"Yo, my best friend, best friend to the very end," she raps. "'Cuz best friends don't have to pretend.... you need a light and I'm right here to guide you."

So far so good.

 However, her memories are not so good."'Member all the times, times, times sneaking outta house.... 'Member all the trouble we got into/We got something you can't undo... Rocking the building/Tear it down/Like we king Kong."

"Laughing so d--- hard/Crashed your dad's new car/All the scars we share/I promise I swear."

I would probably recommend this song if that line wasn't in it.

Other than that, the song is actually good. Instead of raving about the perfections of this relationship, Cher mentions that even though they don't have a perfect relationship, they can still be best friends. "I know I drive you crazy... I know I call you lazy/But you complete me/And that's no lie/You're my tuxedo/And I'm your bowtie."

The promise Cher makes to her friend is sweet and wholesome. "Wherever you go/Just always remember/That you got a home/Now and forever/And when you feel low/Just called me whenever/This is my oath to you."

Though I'm sure she means well, a line in the second verse states: "In my eyes, you can do no wrong." Furthermore, this whole 'Oath' idea doesn't fit well with God's standards. In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says:  "But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King....  Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil."

Promises can be hard to keep. Oaths are a few steps up from promises. Have you ever broken a promise? It hurts not only the person, but you. It also hurts the person's trust in you. Jesus is only looking out for our hearts when making this rule.

So while most of 'Oath' is sweet, I can't really recommend it. We have to take care of our friends in order to have a good relationship with them, but we have to be super careful when we make a promise.

3 comments:

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah