Monday, November 26, 2012

Read this.... Maybe?

"Where you think you're going, baby?"
This line is part of the bridge to a catchy, fun and sightly cheesy tune called, 'Call Me Maybe'.  Often called, 'The Song of the Summer', 'Call Me Maybe' has to be one of the most popular songs in America. Carly Rae Jepsen has become 'the next big thing.' I suppose you can say it's because of this song.
 Like Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen is a Canadian. Placing runner-up on Canadian Idol, she was  toured with them. She released her debut album, Tug of War, and her extended play, Curiosity. She already very popular in Canada, but after releasing the lead single for Curiosity, Call Me Maybe, she was recognized by Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber for her talent. Quickly, she signed with Schoolboy records, one of Justin's records labels.  And boom... she is now an international pop-star.
This song has become one of the most popular songs ever. If you listen to the radio, or if your a music-freak yourself, (like me), you have  heard this song. Carly Rae Jepsen's vocals are beautiful and the rhythm is more fun than any song I know.
But what about the lyrics?
"I threw a wish in the well/Don't ask me/I'll never tell/I'd look to as it fell/And now you're in my way."
Yes, this song definitely deals with romance.
"I'd trade my soul a wish/Pennies and Dimes for a kiss/I wasn't looking for this/And now you're in my way."
Stop. These lines describes love. Most popstars, like Carly, are crazy for love. They're not crazy for the noun, love (something you possess), but they're crazy for the verb, love. In other words, someone loving you. I understand. I want to be loved. What kind of girl doesn't? Love sometimes shows up unexpected, but it really doesn't matter to the person who wants it. Carly is talking about how much she wants love.
But look at that line: "I'd trade my soul for a wish/Pennies and dimes for a kiss."
Isn't it weird how the world will do anything for temporary pleasure? A simple wish can only get you some things and a kiss can only last for about three seconds. (Or  in a romance movie) But sometimes, girls aren't thinking about what kind of love they want. Temporary love is very unstable, but you can only have true love if you have God.
"Hey I just met you," she says, not surprisingly. "And this is crazy/But here's my number/So call me maybe... And all the other boys/Try to chase me/But here's my number/So call me maybe."
 So this song does not deal with just love, but love at first sight. Is there really such a thing? Does love really appear, just out of nowhere?
No, actually. If love was really like that, it would never last. If it doesn't take that much to start love, it shouldn't take that much to end love either. So real, true, godly love can't form in a few seconds.
And actually, Jepsen might just agree with me.
Actually, she contradicts herself in the music video. Similar to the music video for 'Love you Like A Love Song', it has a very different ending. Just as Jepsen is about to give her number to the guy, he gives his number to her guitarist, (He includes a hugs and kisses sign in his note) who, BTW, is a guy.
Okay...
Even though everyone out there is just crazy to have a lasting relationship, to be honest with you, I already have one. Jesus Christ is never going to leave me, or forsake me. Even if I never get married, he will satisfy my needs for love.
As Carly learns, love at first sight doesn't last, even for a few minutes.


(Thanks for requesting 'Call Me Maybe' Danae! If anyone has a song or album that they would like me review, comment below and I'll definately look into it! Thanks!"
Coming Soon: Red, track review

4 comments:

  1. This is great!! thank you sarah!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really good!! I'd love to hear you're reviews on Love You Like A Love Song!!

    Anna:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about the song Naturally by Selena Gomez

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah