Monday, September 2, 2013

The Real Treasure

Have you ever listened to a suggestive, wondering the whole time, if this person means doing 'it?' Sometimes music can be so brief. It leaves you confused, because you're not sure if this person really means doing 'it'.

Well, I know an artist that makes sure you don't have to wonder because he just flats out says the word without shame.

The artist, I'm talking about, is the R&B, pop, and reggae singer, Bruno Mars, who lately, has topped the charts with his songs.

With his second album, Mars has topped the iTunes and Bilboard Music Charts, with his songs, 'Locked Out of Heaven' and 'When I Was Your Man.' His upbeat song, 'Locked Out of Heaven', not only talks about having sex, but also compares it to spiritual things. (See the title) His other song, the only wholesome song on his new album, is a apology to a lover for not treating her right.

I'm going to review the third single for his album, 'Treasure'. The song was released earlier this year and has a 80s feeling to it. It is a song to an insecure girl who needs encouragement.

Before I talk about the explicit version of this song, I'll talk about the clean version. The upbeat, playful verse starts, "Give me your/Give me your/Attention, baby/I gotta tell you a little something about yourself." Gushing over her sexual attraction, he sings, "You're wonderful, flawless, ooo, you're sexy lady/But you walk around here like you wanna be someone else."

"Treasure," he calls his girl. "That is what you are/You're my golden star/You could make my wish come true/Let me treasure you."

The song goes on like that in a fast manner. When I first heard it on the radio, I thought it was pretty good. It was one of those 'makes-you-wanna-get-up-and-dance' songs. Overall, the song is sweet.

When I saw it on the iTunes charts, I was confused to find that it said explicit. Since I hadn't heard any cuss words, I looked up the lyrics. (I did NOT listen to the explicit version) Terribly, I was shocked and disgusted to find out that apparently, Mars says something at the very beginning of the song. For the sake of younger viewers, and the fact that I don't want to even mention the line, I will not put the exact line on this blog. However, I will say that he called his girl a squirrel, plus the f word.

Once I saw that, I was utterly disgusted. I mean, WHY? Obviously, Mars doesn't see value in women.

If you don't think about the explicit version, this song might seem like a sweet song. But, when you think about Mars' other songs, the 'let me treasure you' line could be... well... you get the idea.

There are guys out there that only want a woman's body, and not the woman. As sad as it is, what used to be a touchy subject, is not anymore. Recently, I saw Demi Lovato on the cover of a secular magazine. To just look at the article, I flipped through the pages looking for it. As I did, I saw sex plastered through the whole thing. (in words, not in pictures) I remember seeing a FAQ about having it. Glancing through it, I didn't see anything about how marriage mattered. Because, to the world, it doesn't anymore.

Speaking of the whole 'Treasure' subject, Jesus talks about the real treasures in Matthew.

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal."

The world might think they know what treasures are. They think that this life is all we have, so we just get high, do 'it, and live it up all we want. But we know that this isn't all we have. We have treasures that no one will ever take away from us,  pure treasures that satisfy us. That's what matters.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah