Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Monday Minutes Challenge

I entered the Monday Minutes Challenge at the amazing blog Christ is Write. It's by a teen author named Tessa Emily Hall. She's has some really good writing advice and she does this contest every week. It's supposed to get your creative juices flowing and it's really fun. For more information, click here. This is my entry.


The noise woke me up right after I’d drifted off to sleep. A car door slam. For a second, a terrifying thought paralyzed me with fear. Oh, no, Lindsay, no. I rushed out of bed to my bedroom window, overlooking the gravel driveway. The wind seemed to pound in my ears as I ran out of my room. Every breath was precious to me because I felt like I was going to run out of them.
When I got outside, the bright headlights shined in my face. I waved my hands aimlessly in the air and screamed her name.
My sister got out of the car. Dad’s red jacket was too big for her shoulders. “Go back to bed, Kayla,” she ordered over the roar of the car engine.

“You can’t go,” I protest. I ran to her, ignoring the jagged rocks against my bare feet. “Don’t leave me here.”
Her eyes lowered to meet mine. “They like you more than me,” she said. “It’s best that I leave, best for both of us.”

The wet feeling of a tear made me choke down a sob. “I need you here, Lindsay. If you leave, what will happen to me?”

“You can’t rely on me. I can’t be with you forever.” In the light of the headlights, I saw her shoulders moving up and down in a frantic motion.

“Take me with you.” My voice cracked and I tried to hug her. “I don’t want to be without you.”

Her arms stretched around me for a moment before she pushed me away. “I’m sorry. I have to leave, Kayla. If they’re ever mean to you, call the social worker.” Again, I heard the abrupt sound that had woken me. I backed away as she drove down the dirt road.

I hope you like it! Make sure to check out her blog!
In Christ,
Sarah

2 comments:

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah