Tuesday, May 7, 2013

'DEMI' Review

Demi Lovato has released her newest album early. So I can review it! Actually, you can only listen to it now. You can buy it on March 14th!

With her lead, amazing single 'Heart Attack', Demi has expressed her fear of falling in love. In her fourth studio album, called Demi, Demi has fun dance tunes and a few raw, slow, and meaningful melodies. She said this new album would be about the joys of life. She also says she expressed herself better in this album. 

In the 13 tracks in this album, Demi definitely expressing her character a little better. She shows her unmovable side, her sensitive side, and, unfortunately, a little bit of her dirty side. Believe me, she definitely surprised me. Some of it was a good surprise. Some of it... not so much.

One's thing for sure. Her fan base has gotten older, which means Demi has gotten older. The question is: Is that a good thing?

Wholesome Content


'Heart Attack' speaks of the honest fear of falling in love because you've been hurt before.

'Warrior' is definitely the most encouraging, meaningful track on this album. Much like 'Skyscraper' , Demi speaks of how her scars have only made her stronger. "The pain and all the truth/I wear like a battle wound... Now I'm a warrior/I've got thicker skin... I'm stronger than I've ever been." Speaking of how her mistakes have changed her, she talks of moving on. "I'll never be the same/I'm taking back my life today." She even talks about the people that have hurt her, telling them she will never let the back in her life. " You're a criminal... Nothing left you can stay."

'Really Don't Care' shows Demi's unmovable side. Telling a story about a guy that left her and then wants her back, she won't let him lie to her again. "You can take all your words and your lies/I really don't care." Instead of running from him, Demi refuses to let him scare her. "Now if we meet in the street/I won't be scared."  In 'Shouldn't Come Back', Demi advises a lover that the relationship isn't worth it because of all the pain she goes through because of it.  In 'Without the Love', Demi sees through the lies of a deceiver who doesn't live out his words. "Why are you singing me love songs/What good is a love song/Without the love?"

On a happier side, Demi sings of amazing love in 'Made in the USA.' Singing of how her love is amazing and patriotic, she even sings of the sacrifices she will make. "Baby, I'll break the bullet/And take the blow for love." 'Two Pieces' tells a story of a unmovable friendship of a hurt boy and girl that helps them get through life. "We'll never fall apart/'Cause we fit together/Like two pieces of a broken heart."

Like 'Unbroken', 'Never Been Hurt', Demi promises to love someone as if she's never been hurt. She speaks of her beau in a loving way, singing, "In that fire/You fought through the darkness/And brought me back to life... I will love you/Like I've never been hurt/Run through fire for you/Like I've never been burned." 'Neon Lights' the beauty of seeing and loving just one person but....

Unacceptable Content

One line is suggestive. "You'll be coming home with me tonight."

On that subject, Demi never talks of s-x directly, but a few songs are suggestive. In 'In Case', you can tell the relationship involved living together. Plus, she sings, "In case you miss my arms/How they wrapped around your waist."  In 'Nightingale', Demi begs a boy to be her 'Nightingale'. The whole 'night' thing is a tad bit suggestive. 

As good as this album is, terribly, it is not free of profanity. In 'Nightingale', she sings, "Somebody speaks to me/'Cuz I'm feeling like h---."  But even that is not compared to the worst song on this album, 'Fire Starter'. It is definitely Demi's dirty side. Singing of how she looks innocent, she tells people she is not. It starts off: "There's a S written on my chest/Where no one can see." Going on like that, it is pretty terrible, totally disgusting and unacceptable. The worst thing is that Demi yells out, "I'm a bad a--!" twice.

Though 'Something that We're Not' is pretty clean, she sounds pretty mean in it to where it doesn't provide the best influence. In 'Really Don't Care', guest rapper, Cher Llyod gives bad advice. "Hey, Demi, you picked the wrong lover/You should've picked that one/He's cuter than the other."

I found a cropped picture of the album cover, but the whole picture is bad. Though no explicit parts are shown, she is shirtless and covered in black, oil-like liquor.

Conclusion

I have looking forward to this album since I heard Demi was writing new music.  Being really excited when she released it early, I found many, upbeat songs that just made me want to get up and dance, which is what I thought her last album lacked. Most of the songs are clean enough to buy and it is definitely more happy than the last album.

What I love about Demi is that no one can move her, even the people that hurt her. I love how she embraces challenges, won't let anyone bring her down, and looks at the bright side of things. Most of my expectations were met. I expected the suggestive lyrics about s-x, but I was really hoping that this album would be free of profanity. That's why I was really disappointed when I heard 'Fire Starter.'

As good as most of this album is, I can't recommend buying the whole thing. I really didn't think I could either. It's mostly because of the cuss words. Loving Demi, I can't beat her up because of this, but I have to put this in the light. I doubt she's going down Miley Cyrus' road, but I still plan to write her about  this. Though she has grown, these words of profanity show a lack of maturity.

So while Demi is pretty clean, there are a few songs that just ruin the mood. I really want to tell her good job, but I can't encourage the profanity.

Overview

Happiest Song: Made in the USA
Saddest Song: Shouldn't Come Back
Most Meaningful Song: Warrior
Best Written: Shouldn't Come Back
Most Sexual Content: Fire Starter
Personal Favorite: Warrior


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah