Thursday, March 26, 2015

In Which I Think Out Loud about Earthworms

A couple of weeks ago, I made a bold statement.

I. Hate. Earthworms.

At my biology class, our teacher made us draw an earthworm. And not like anything you would imagine. On that cold afternoon, she handed us a simple outline of a earthworm's body... before preceding to walk us through the drawing. We had to fit in 22 parts of the earthworm in that little space. Yes, those little slimy things actually have 22 parts!

By the end of the walkthrough, my mind struggled to process thought. Many times before this, I wondered, "How is knowing how to draw an earthworm going to benefit my future? It's not like a publisher is going to walk up to me and say, 'I loved your book, but because you lack knowledge in the invertebrates of Kingdom Animalia." 

Uh, no.

I'm sure you relate. Not only is school difficult and time consuming, but sometimes I wonder... why? I want to go into journalism. Why must I be forced to memorize the definitions of the parts in a snail? (I did have to do that)

But, recently, I think I figured it out. It hit me in the way that was obvious.

God made the earthworm.

Okay, okay, that might sound silly, but just think about it. God, the omniscient, all-knowing, Creator of the universe thought of an earthworm. Actually, he did more than that! He gave it those 22 parts. He gave it life!

God, the deity that hung the stars in their place, imagined an earthworm. No one would blame him for dismissing the idea of an earthworm as a silly idea. After all, He is God.

But He didn't do that.

He created something so small and so insignificant to us, for a purpose. Earthworms loosen the ground and help farmers. They might seem too tiny for consideration to me, but they do make a difference in this huge world.

Maybe I won't use my knowledge of the earthworm in a critical way. It won't get me into college or get my book published. But the earthworm is a living thing. God is so amazing that even something as little as earthworm reflects his glory!

So, God gave the worm all the things he needs to live. Imagine how much He cares for you.


7 comments:

  1. I love this <3
    p.s. sorry I didn't get to commenting on your previous post. It actually made me start typing out a whole entire essay practically about stuff, and I figured it was mainly for myself to read, so I decided to save you from that! It really made me think, so thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's okay! There's a lot of posts I read of yours that I like, but I never get a chance to comment. I'm glad you liked it:) Heehee:)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely post! It's amazing to see that at least some people are showing appreciation for God in an otherwise vastly ignorant society. Please keep it up girls!

    P.S: I know this may be quite irrelevant, but I also aspire to become a journalist - and I had no apparent idea that an earthworm is composed of 22 parts; I suppose you learn something new everyday.

    Kate x
    www.theteenaspect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. That's really cool. Yes, you do:)

      Delete
  4. I am also very interested in going into journalism, and really? They have 22 parts? I never knew that.

    You are so thoughtful, girls. Really, people don't take the time of day to just sit and be grateful of all the little things. Myself included. Since reading this, I will try to be more thoughtful.

    ~ Cindy @ Open Your Eyes And See

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you were inspired. Lol. I never knew they had 22 parts either, until I went to biology:)

      Delete

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah