Monday, September 8, 2014

We Are Broken

I have something to confess. I cry a lot. It doesn't take much for me to cry. Though I'm not a drama queen, it doesn't take much for me to shed tears The weird thing is, rarely do I cry while watching a sad movie or reading a depressing book. (But I will admit, I cried a little during Captain America, when he and his girlfriend talked for the last time) Maybe it's just my nature, but at times, I feel like a weakling because of it.

Usually, it just takes someone to scream at me to make me cry. It doesn't even have to be an insult. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm not a strong person. Like in the poem I've published, unkind words are said to me that still live in my mind. That's my fault.

But what I have to realize is, even the strong people have their breaking point. People have different ways of showing their emotions: some by spilling out and others hiding it. (I'm a little in between the two.) Stories, music and ultimately real life has shown me something the world tries to shut out of our minds.

We are broken people.

Yes, we can be happy. We can be strong. Through it all, we do have insecurities. You don't have to cry to be sad. You don't have to break down physically to be broken. Many try to hide it, but no matter how well we keep it hidden, it will always come back to us in the end. Like a slap in the face.

We are broken.

This week in Sunday School class, we read a passage in Revelations. In it, John takes about seeing the Son of Man. At first, he is terrified and falls to his knees. But then Jesus does something interesting.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But He laid his right hand on me saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore..." Revelations 1:17-18a.

Isn't that amazing? There he is, like a worm in front of the powerful, amazing God. He doesn't scold us for our mistakes. He doesn't comment on how weak we are compared to him. He lays his right hand on us and tells us not to be afraid. That's the God I serve. And wow, does that make me happy.

The world tries to tell us otherwise. Feminism songs tell us that we don't need a man. Hollywood tells us that we are strong, that we deserve a great life. The truth that we avoid is, we're not strong. We are needy. Jesus knows this. Despite our pride, He tells us to fear not. He encourages us. He tells we are loved, we are wanted. Does he deny that we are helpless? No. Instead, He gives us life.

So yes, I am a weakling. I do cry more than I should. But Jesus doesn't turn me away. He forgives me, the mess I am. The great thing about this is... we don't have to be broken to come to Jesus. We can be the biggest mess in the world and He loves us anyway.

This song, though not Christian, is so true and honest. I love it so much.

Yes, I've posted this song before, but it's amazing. Other than being catchy, the meaning behind it is life changing.

Hope you like this post! Comment and tell me what you think. It would mean the world to me if you do:)

In Christ,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful truths that are in this post! I could not have said it any better! I love how you said that the truth is we are needy and that's okay, but Christ tells us we are loved.
    I think it is okay to cry, because I think we all need a "cry" break every once in awhile...not to mention sometimes it just makes us feel better, as long as we aren't feeling sorry for ourselves! :)
    Thank you for this excellent post, you are such an amazing writer!
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it makes me feel better. Thank you so much for the lovely comment! It made my day!:)
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sarah. These kind of posts just amaze me. This is so true!! Keep up the good work. =) I've come to learn these things over the past years through varying trials. Very very true.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Post a comment below! They make our day!

In Christ,
Sarah